1. The Associated Press reports that a truck carrying an oversize load hit the bridge, plunging a section of the span and two vehicles into the Skagit River. The cars’ occupants suffered only minor injuries.
3. Officials said a truck carrying a tall load hit the bridge before it collapsed.
KING 5 News
BREAKING photo of collapsed bridge over I-5 from Tiffany Riley Matson http://t.co/Ig3YdcJavc
North end of I-5 bridge over #Skagit River collapsed http://t.co/Jr26Qu6SEl
6. The Skagit River Bridge is located north of Seattle between Burlington and Mt. Vernon.
7. According to the State Patrol, people and vehicles are in the water.
Trooper Mark Francis
I don’t have much info. N/B and S/B lanes of I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapsed. People and cars in water. I’m very far away. Will update
Picture of the bridge collapse in Mt. Vernon. Multiple news sources reporting people and cars in the river. http://t.co/t7IL9YaEJm
Pic of #Skagitbridgecollapse taken by friend of @AnnaKXLY4 NB lanes collapsed into river. Several cars submerged http://t.co/nTJBmzPfY8
10. UPDATE — May 24, 2013, 12:22 p.m. ET: Everyone accounted for and no fatalities.
Everyone accounted for, no fatalities in #Skagit County bridge collapse, according to reporter on scene.
11. Two people were in a truck and another in a car, but are safe now.
Two people were in the truck; one in the car. All were rescued and receiving medical attention, official said. #Skagitbridge
12. UPDATE — May 24, 2013, 12:37 p.m. ET: There are reports that an oversize load may have struck the bridge, which is being investigated by the Washington State Department of Transportation.
Our state bridge engineer is looking into the possibility that an oversize load may have struck the bridge. Still investigating…