1. During Sunday’s season opener, severe rain shut the race down at the International Speedway after 38 out of the 200 laps had been completed.
2. The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning in the area.
6. Because of the delay, Fox aired a replay of last year’s race, when Jimmie Johnson won. Many fans on Twitter didn’t understand and tweeted along as if the race was live.
9. So many people congratulated Jimmie Johnson that he tweeted about it:
10. And even Fox News was confused about the win:
12. The Daytona 500 has been delayed for potholes, fires, and weather over the last five years. The race needs to hit 100 laps to become official.
13. In 2009 Matt Kenseth won a rain-shortened Daytona 500. The next year the Daytona 500 was interrupted for more than two hours because of a pothole in the track.
14. In 2012 rain shut down the race and then later that night Juan Pablo Montoya slammed into a jet dryer, igniting a fire that caused another delay.
15. UPDATED — Feb. 23, 11:25 p.m. ET: NASCAR used the Air Titan, a system designed to reduce track drying time, and resumed the race after about six hours of delays.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the Dayton 500 after the long rain delay.
- Thai police have issued two new arrest warrants as the search widens for the suspects behind Bangkok's deadly shrine bombing. ›
- Wes Craven, who directed "Scream" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street," has died of brain cancer. He was 76. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›