1. Behold: the wild beauty of a bunch of jacked up server bits
What is data, anyway? We just sit around on our dumb computer smashing our chubby fingers on a keyboard asking Google what time the Superbowl is, and some poor little machine has to actually crank out the stupid answers. Smh.
German artists Sebastian Schmieg and Johannes Osterhoff were inspired by seeing photos of Google’s data center in Belgium along with the nugget of info that Google crunches up all its old servers into bit. They asked Google for some, and were sent a 10 kg box.
Osterberg explains, “in their disassembled and dysfunctional state, as an afterglow of the data center factory, they remain loaded with meaning and provide not only a glimpse behind the shiny interface layer of Google’s applications, but also point to the actual sites of digital life.”
“10kg from the New Factory” is currently on display at the transmediale art festival in Berlin.
Ok. Here are glorious smashed servers:
4. O Google Tape, You Hold Together This Box of Bad Garbage. You must be sliced open.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.