1. Behold: the wild beauty of a bunch of jacked up server bits
What is data, anyway? We just sit around on our dumb computer smashing our chubby fingers on a keyboard asking Google what time the Superbowl is, and some poor little machine has to actually crank out the stupid answers. Smh.
German artists Sebastian Schmieg and Johannes Osterhoff were inspired by seeing photos of Google’s data center in Belgium along with the nugget of info that Google crunches up all its old servers into bit. They asked Google for some, and were sent a 10 kg box.
Osterberg explains, “in their disassembled and dysfunctional state, as an afterglow of the data center factory, they remain loaded with meaning and provide not only a glimpse behind the shiny interface layer of Google’s applications, but also point to the actual sites of digital life.”
“10kg from the New Factory” is currently on display at the transmediale art festival in Berlin.
Ok. Here are glorious smashed servers:
3. Yes, yes dump that garbage all over the floor. Yes.
4. O Google Tape, You Hold Together This Box of Bad Garbage. You must be sliced open.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›