1. Using your personal Gmail at work is a storied, benevolent tradition.
2. First, you sign into Gchat. There are SO MANY people you could talk to!
3. You see your crush/recent ex online, and you KNOW they see you. So why aren’t they IMing you???
5. In the meantime, you pick one person (or seven people) to talk to, and you Gchat them to say “hey.”
6. Before you know it, you and the person you’re talking to are in DEEP.
8. At first it’s thrilling, because maybe the other person confesses something to you too.
10. Because that other person didn’t respond the right way or WENT IDLE.
13. Why?? Is it because all the little boxes look the same and it just seems like you’re telling SOMEone?
15. Does the fact that you’re on your personal email while at work amp up the “clandestineness” of it and encourage you to share more?
16. Or is it just the good old-fashioned comfort of the anonymity of the computer screen?
18. You can try to stay off Gchat, but it won’t work. You’ll always see that little dot.
Editor, Ghost Hunter, Ufologist
Contact Katie Heaney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deputy Editorial Director, BuzzFeed San Francisco
Contact Jessica Misener at email@example.com.
Here Are The Top Stories