A video of the brutal bullying of Greece, New York, school bus monitor Karen Klein inspired Max Sidorov, an apparent friend of a friend of a friend of Klein’s, to start an Indiegogo fundraising campaign to “Give Karen a Vacation.” The initial goal was $5k, but in its first 24 hours, the fundraising total is nearing $200k. This isn’t travel money anymore — it’s retirement money.
Some Indiegogo users have expressed concern about Sidorov’s lack of a relationship with Klein, but most outward signs have suggested that the campaign is above-board — Sidorov has apparently gotten in to touch with Klein via local news outlets, and she has expressed her gratitude. And then this happened:
Another Indiegogo user, Case Prince, has started a separate campaign for Sidorov (UPDATE: It’s been taken down). The pitch is this:
Max Started the campaign that turned into a landslide of support for Karen Huff Klein and against bullying.. I feel Max deserves a small reward himself?…*
Sidorov’s reward for helping Klein, if he needs one, is that he is the guy who helped Klein. The internet is not the Government of All Decency, and we don’t owe Sidorov a karmic tax write-off.
I’ve reached out to Sidorov, Prince and Indiegogo. I’ll update if I hear back.
UPDATE: Sidorov has deleted the post in question and replaced it with this:
The fundraiser for Sidorov has since been deleted (update x2: It’s back!). The campaign for Klein, meanwhile, has passed $300k.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- oprahsweave thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Trashy & Fail
- arielm6 The Perils Of Viral Charity
The amazing thing is;- this particular ‘fundraising campaign’ (Lets Give Karen -The bus monitor- H Klein A Vacation!) is now up to a staggering; $632,303.00 & it still has another 27 days to go, before donations close & the money is presented to Karen!
The guy who started the fundraiser ‘Max Sidorov’ apparently has already cancelled/ deleted several Fundraiser’s that were set up ‘for him’ [regardless- of the fact that he said that it was ‘insanely nice’ initially- I guess he’s fed up with people making a heap of speculations about him’ [for eg; saying that he will be pocketing some of the money- or saying that he only done it, so someone else would do it for him too!]. He made a made a public announcement on www.indiegogo.com that he made sure the fund was in Karen’s name [her Pay Pal account] & not his own … to prove to people that he isn’t after Karen’s money!
- jens9 thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is WTF & Trashy
- joshuak9 thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Trashy & Fail
- bryanw9 thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Trashy
- Christina V. The Perils Of Viral Charity
- “karen klein fundraising” is a hot search term for this page
- meredithmo thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is WTF & Cute
- juliamixb thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Ew & Fail
- jjb.yuku.com readers just made The Perils Of Viral Charity hotter
- beckyn2 thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Ew
- devinm4 thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Trashy
- Kat Chat thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Trashy
- m.gizmodo.com readers just made The Perils Of Viral Charity hotter
- uproxx.com readers just made The Perils Of Viral Charity hotter
Lol, crosses the line. This guy helped send an abused old lady to early amazing retirement. I think any benefit he gets is just karma pay off to him. Sounds like someone is very jealous. This guy did a great thing, and anything amazing that happens to him as a result is just bonus karma for him in my eyes.
- The Perils Of Viral Charity is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- gizmodo.com readers just made The Perils Of Viral Charity hotter
- blog.gizmodo.com readers just made The Perils Of Viral Charity hotter
- The Perils Of Viral Charity is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- reddit.com readers just made The Perils Of Viral Charity hotter
- The Angry Luddite The Perils Of Viral Charity and thinks it’s Fail, Trashy & Ew
- Katie Notopoulos thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Ew, Trashy & Vom
- David Cameo The Perils Of Viral Charity
- Allison McCann thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Sad
- myurow thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is WTF
- lauraarayata thinks The Perils Of Viral Charity is Trashy, Fail & Ew