1. And the 266th pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church is…
AP / AP
2. Keeping with tradition, a cardinal introduced and announced the selection of Bergoglio, who was considered a dark horse for the papacy.
4. Bergoglio is the 76-year-old former Archbishop of Buenos Aires. He’ll be known as Pope Francis.
Andrew Medichini / AP
5. Bergoglio is the first Pope from Latin America — a region with 40% of the world’s Catholics.
Natacha Pisarenko / AP
6. On Tuesday, the papal conclave convened, and the world began watching this little chimney on the roof of the Sistine Chapel. Black smoke would mean an inconclusive vote and no pope. White smoke would mean a decision had been reached.
Dmitry Lovetsky / AP
7. Yesterday? Nope.
Dylan Martinez / Reuters
8. This morning? Still no pope.
Michael Sohn / AP
9. But later today…
10. Boom! White smoke.
Jessica Testa is a national reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Jessica Testa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In The News Today
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The World Bank announced that for the first time it is forecasting the rate of extreme global poverty to drop below 10% in 2015 . ›