1. And the 266th pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church is…
AP / AP
2. Keeping with tradition, a cardinal introduced and announced the selection of Bergoglio, who was considered a dark horse for the papacy.
4. Bergoglio is the 76-year-old former Archbishop of Buenos Aires. He’ll be known as Pope Francis.
Andrew Medichini / AP
5. Bergoglio is the first Pope from Latin America — a region with 40% of the world’s Catholics.
Natacha Pisarenko / AP
6. On Tuesday, the papal conclave convened, and the world began watching this little chimney on the roof of the Sistine Chapel. Black smoke would mean an inconclusive vote and no pope. White smoke would mean a decision had been reached.
Dmitry Lovetsky / AP
7. Yesterday? Nope.
Dylan Martinez / Reuters
8. This morning? Still no pope.
Michael Sohn / AP
9. But later today…
10. Boom! White smoke.
Jessica Testa is a national reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Jessica Testa at email@example.com.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Illegal immigrants living in Britain will face abrupt eviction from rental properties under new laws designed to reduce the UK's appeal as a migrant destination.
- President Barack Obama will unveil on Monday a plan that is considered to be "the strongest action ever taken" in the U.S. to combat climate change.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72 years old.