1. Remember the band-plays-on scene from “Titanic”?
2. It really happened. And now the violin played by bandmaster Wallace Hartley has been found and positively identified, according to British auction house Henry Aldridge & Son.
The auction house worked tirelessly with forensic scientists, Oxford University, and a Hartley biographer to identify the violin, according to the Associated Press. The instrument is still in good condition, despite being water-stained and cracked.
4. According to the auction house, Hartley’s body was found strapped to a large valise with the violin inside. It then went from his fiancee to a Salvation Army and a violin teacher.
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- Mozambique implemented a new criminal code that removes a colonial-era law criminalizing homosexuality.