1. Remember the band-plays-on scene from “Titanic”?
2. It really happened. And now the violin played by bandmaster Wallace Hartley has been found and positively identified, according to British auction house Henry Aldridge & Son.
The auction house worked tirelessly with forensic scientists, Oxford University, and a Hartley biographer to identify the violin, according to the Associated Press. The instrument is still in good condition, despite being water-stained and cracked.
4. According to the auction house, Hartley’s body was found strapped to a large valise with the violin inside. It then went from his fiancee to a Salvation Army and a violin teacher.
- The Dutch Safety Board has released a final report of its investigation into why Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 broke up over Ukraine in 2014. ›
- Condé Nast has acquired Pitchfork, the independent music website and magazine, for an undisclosed amount.
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed to in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›