Krystal Dorris carries her four year old daughter Heaven after she was bused to a local Walmart following a shooting incident at McNair Discovery Learning Academy in Decatur, Georgia, August 20, 2013.
An active gunman was reported at McNair Discovery Learning Academy in Decatur, Ga., around 1 p.m. local time on Tuesday. There were no injuries and one person is in custody, according to local reports.
The DeKalb County Police Department confirmed that the gunman fired multiple shots and police did not return fire.
According to WSB-TV, the suspected gunman asked the school to call the news station. An editor said she could hear gunshots while on the phone with a school official.
PHOTO: SWAT on scene at McNair Discovery Learning Academy in Decatur
#wsbtv assignment desk editor says she could hear gunshots while on the phone with someone in McNair Elementary School office./ Via
WSB-TV employee says someone in school office called and told her the suspect asked someone to call #wsbtv/ Via
Update - Aug. 20, 2:40 p.m., EDT: More details have been released about the suspected gunman.
Sources just confirmed white male in his 20s with AK47 is in custody #McNairshooting/ Via
From @jodiewsbtv: suspect was a white male, all in black, surrendered peacefully,/ Via
9. Video from the scene:
10. The Atlanta Journal Constitution has photos of students reuniting with their parents.
Parents continue to be reunited with their children as they arrive from McNair. #McNairshooting
Parents were relieved that their kids began arriving at #walmart after the incident at their school.
12. Update: 7:45 p.m. EDT — Gunman reportedly identified as Michael Brandon Hill.
First on @ABC: Suspect in DeKalb County (GA) school shooting is 20-yr-old Michael Brandon Hill; he was allegedly carrying AK-47 knock-off./ Via
The alleged shooter at DeKalb County, GA, school today was arrested 5 months ago for “terroristic threats & acts;” got probation & anger mgt/ Via
FIRST PIC of allgd #Atlanta school shooter Michael Brandon Hill-20. Court last month he got 3 yrs probatn, anger mgt.
16. Update: Aug. 21, 2:10 p.m. EDT — According to police, Hill brought 500 rounds of ammo to the school.
The Associated Press
BREAKING:Police say Georgia school shooting suspect had nearly 500 rounds of ammunition. -MM/ Via
- Greece's finance minister has resigned following an overwhelming "no" vote on new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. The country's future in the eurozone is uncertain.
- The South Carolina Senate is debating a bill calling for the removal of the Confederate battle flag from statehouse grounds.
- More than 1 million people are expected to attend Pope Francis' mass in Ecuador on Monday.