1. This is Assemblyman Dov Hikind, a Democrat from Brooklyn.
2. This is how Assemblyman Hikind, center, dressed up for the Jewish holiday Purim.
With his wife and son, via Facebook
Politicker reports that Hikind hired a professional makeup artist to transform him for the “basketball player” costume.
After some backlash, Hikind issued the following statement:
Yes, I wore a costume on Purim and hosted a party. Most of the people who attended also wore costumes. Everywhere that Purim was being celebrated, people wore costumes. It was Purim. People dress up.
I am intrigued that anyone who understands Purim — or for that matter understands me — would have a problem with this. This is political correctness to the absurd. There is not a prejudiced bone in my body.
- With head clerk Kim Davis jailed, Rowan County issued its first same-sex marriage license since the Supreme Court's June decision. ›
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- A drowned Syrian boy, whose picture caused outrage around the world, has been buried together with his mother and 5-year-old brother. ›