1. This is a 29-year-old man convicted in Shiraz, Iran, of being part of a 10-member burglary gang.
2. His sentence is three years in prison, confiscation of property, and the amputation of three fingers.
3. Last Thursday, his amputation was carried out in Shiraz’s public square.
4. The Telegraph reports that afterward, Shiraz’s public prosecutor Ali Alghasi announced criminal sentences will become more severe.
5. His annoucement is believed to be an attempt to prevent protests leading up to June’s election.
- Chicago police chief Garry McCarthy has resigned after backlash from the police shooting death of Laquan McDonald. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 was the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers spent more than $3 billion 💳📲 ›