1. This was west Iceland’s Kolgrafafjordur fjord on Tuesday.
2. It’s the second time in two months that thousands of herring have washed up on shore.
3. The fish are believed to have died from lack of oxygen, the AP reports.
4. A landfill and bridge were constructed across this fjord in 2004 — the lack of oxygen now is apparently a prolonged consequence of those projects.
5. The number of herring found dead on Tuesday is believed to be worth about $9.8 million.
- Five people were arrested as protesters gathered in Chicago after the release of a dash-cam video of the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. ›
- Brussels started reopening schools and the Metro Wednesday after a four-day security lockdown. The city remains on the highest terrorism alert. ›
- Pope Francis has arrived in Kenya. It's his first visit to Africa as pontiff. ›