1. A 30-year-old American tourist was gang-raped early Tuesday morning in Himachal Pradesh, India.
Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
The woman was hitchhiking back to her guesthouse in Manali, a Himalayan foothills resort town, when she was picked up by a group of men in a truck and gang-raped, authorities told the Agence France-Presse.
Police inspector Abhimanyu Kumar said that a medical test later confirmed she had been sexually assaulted. Officials have set up roadblocks and are now searching for the men with an order for every truck driver in Manali to report to the police station.
“The woman cannot remember the number plate of the truck and she could not understand what the accused were talking about,” Kumar said. “They drove the truck to an isolated spot and raped her for nearly one hour.”
The woman has reportedly agreed to stay in Manali while the investigation continues.
3. The American woman’s rape is just the latest in a string of high-profile assaults.
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
Over the weekend, an Indian businessman was arrested for allegedly raping a 21-year-old Irish volunteer worker after her birthday party in eastern India.
In March, a Swiss cyclist was reportedly gang-raped in Madhya Pradesh. Weeks earlier in the same state, reports surfaced of a South Korean woman being drugged and raped by a hotel owner’s son.
In December, the death of a 23-year-old Indian woman who was beaten and gang-raped on a New Dehli bus sparked major national protests and demands for the government to increase and promote women’s safety.
- Three scientists who developed treatments against parasites have won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. ›
- Doctors Without Borders says it will leave the Afghan city of Kunduz after airstrikes killed 22 people at its hospital there on Saturday. ›
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›