1. “The Last of Us” is the best game of the year so far. It’s the story of an old man and a young woman traveling across a future America plagued by a fungal infection that turns humans into mushroom-zombies.
3. The game’s creators based this infection on the cordyceps fungus, a real-life organism that attacks insect hosts and turns them into nightmarish freaks.
4. OR DID THEY?
5. This is Matango, an obscure 1963 Japanese horror movie.
6. It was also released with the titles Fungus of Terror and Attack of the Mushroom People.
7. It concerns a group of shipwrecked yachters who are marooned on an island.
8. ON WHICH AN EVIL MUSHROOM HAS TURNED EVERYONE INTO MUSHROOM ZOMBIES.
10. NO. NO.
11. DON’T EAT THE MUSHROOM, DUDE…
12. …or there will be a FUNGUS AMONG US.
13. GETITOFF GETITOFF GETITOFF.
14. So. “The Last of Us,” or the second Matango?
15. You decide.
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›