1. Today during Microsoft’s press conference at E3, a man and a woman demonstrated the new fighting game, Killer Instinct.
2. The man, a producer on the game, was winning the match easily. At that point, he started to talk a little trash. Listen at the :27 mark:
3. Regardless of his intention, that is obviously language that is coded in the terms of sexual violence.
4. The woman’s response? “I don’t like it.”
While the producer may have meant this comment innocently, the objectification of women is deeply encoded in gaming culture. That this comment could happen onstage at a major, obsessively coordinated press event, is a testament to this fact.
- The main suspect in last month's bombing of Bangkok's Erawan shrine has been arrested, Thailand's prime minister says. ›
- Hundreds of people have arrived by train to Austria from Hungary on Monday, as European Union asylum rules collapsed under the escalating migration crisis. ›
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›