1. Today during Microsoft’s press conference at E3, a man and a woman demonstrated the new fighting game, Killer Instinct.
2. The man, a producer on the game, was winning the match easily. At that point, he started to talk a little trash. Listen at the :27 mark:
3. Regardless of his intention, that is obviously language that is coded in the terms of sexual violence.
4. The woman’s response? “I don’t like it.”
While the producer may have meant this comment innocently, the objectification of women is deeply encoded in gaming culture. That this comment could happen onstage at a major, obsessively coordinated press event, is a testament to this fact.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️