1. Updated — July 25, 3 p.m.
The Carlton Complex fire had destroyed 300 homes by Friday, July 25 according to the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office. An additional 300 to 500 homes had been evacuated and the fire had burned 250,489 acres. It was 55% contained.
Reports early Friday indicated only about 150 homes had burned, but Sheriff Frank Rogers said the lower estimate was done before authorities could access the entire burn zone. He later said that “every road lost something,” according to his department’s Facebook page.
Fire spokesman Pete Buist told the Associated Press that it was the biggest fire in Washington history.
Other active fires in Washington Friday included the Chiwaukum Complex fire, the Mills Canyon fire, the Central Washington BAER fire, and the Lone Mountain 1 fire.
4. Multiple wildfires were raging out of control across central Washington on Friday.
Plumes of smoke above Leavenworth, Washington, Thursday.
5. The biggest of the blazes, the Carlton Complex Fire, had burned 167,713 acres by Friday. The fire was sparked Monday by a lightning strike.
A firefighter puts water on a burning building in Pateros, Washington, Thursday night.
6. About 100 homes have been destroyed by the fires, authorities estimate.
The Carlton Complex Fire burned through this neighborhood in Pateros Thursday night.
7. Hundreds of homes were evacuated. The evacuations include the entire town of Pateros.
A group of women pause after sifting through the rubble of a destroyed apartment building destroyed in Pateros.
8. The Carlton Complex Fire was 0% contained as of late Friday.
A plume of smoke and steam rises the Carlton Complex Fire Friday morning.
9. The Chiwaukum Creek, Mills Canyon, and Kelly Mountain fires had collectively burned nearly 30,000 acres in the Chelan County area.
With Lake Chelan in the foreground, with a large plume of smoke and steam rising from just south of Pateros Friday morning. The Chiwaukum Creek fire was burning about 100 miles south of the Carlton Complex Fire.
10. The cause of the Chiwaukum Creek fire remained under investigation Friday.
The Chiwaukum Creek Fire near Leavenworth, Washington, Friday.
11. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said 2,000 firefighters are working in the eastern part of the state, with about a dozen helicopters from the Department of Natural Resources and the National Guard, along with a Washington State Patrol spotter plane.
A helicopter flies past a chimney remaining after a wildfire destroyed a home Thursday night in Pateros, Washington.
12. The fires led Inslee to declare a state of emergency for 20 counties.
Firefighters battles flames from the Carlton Complex fire Friday in Winthrop, Wash.
13. “We basically evacuated the whole town” of Malott on Friday, Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers told the Associated Press.
Highway 97 between Brewster and Pateros on Friday.
14. “We know we’ve lost more homes,” he said.
A line of fire snakes along a hillside at dusk Friday, July 18, 2014, in Winthrop, Wash.
- The Temple of Bel, an important ancient structure in the ISIS-held Syrian city of Palmyra, has been destroyed, the United Nations says. ›
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a ruling in a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›