1. Aaron Ybarra, 26, allegedly opened fire Thursday at Seattle Pacific University, killing one person and wounding three others. The rampage only stopped when 22-year-old student Jon Meis tackled Ybarra.
Aaron Ybarra in court the day after he allegedly killed one person at Seattle Pacific University. Police say Ybarra wanted to kill as many people as possible.
3. Meis also pepper sprayed Ybarra and, along with other students, confined him until the police caught up. Investigators called Meis a hero and said they were in awe of his selflessness.
Jon Meis is taken from the scene of the shooting Thursday.
5. The shooting happened just two weeks before Meis’ wedding. As people learned of his heroism, they wanted to thank him and began buying the gifts on his wedding registry.
7. Random strangers shared the link to Meis’ registry online.
12. Meis and his fiancé registered at Target and Crate & Barrel. By Friday, people had purchased every single item on Meis’ registry that they could buy online.
14. But even after all the gifts were purchased, people still wanted to thank Meis. Jessamyn McIntyre — who tweeted that she doesn’t know Meis — was one of those people and started a crowdfunding campaign for Meis’ honeymoon.
18. The campaign quickly spread online and in local media. It reached its goal of $5,000 within hours.
20. Meis’ wedding is scheduled for June 21. By Friday night, more than $6,800 had been contributed.
- The U.S., Japan, and 10 other Pacific Rim nations have agreed to a historic trade deal encompassing 40% of the world's economy. ›
- California has become the fifth U.S. state to legalize physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients. ›
- CC Sabathia, a pitcher for the playoff-bound New York Yankees, says he's checking himself into an alcohol rehab center. ›