1. Boys from 27 high schools in the French city of Nantes were given the chance to wear skirts Friday to school as part of an anti-sexism demonstration.
3. The demonstration was called “Ce que soulève la jupe” — alternately translated as “what raises the skirt” and “lift the skirt” — and was backed by the city’s education authorities.
5. Officials also encouraged girls to wear skirts.
7. Student Arthur Moinet, an organizer for the demonstration, said the event was sparked by an ongoing problem with sexism in his region.
9. Boys were not required to participate, though a majority supported the demonstration, Euronews reported.
11. Boys who didn’t want to actually don a skirt could wear a pin reading, “I fight sexism, what about you?”
15. Gender has been a contentious topic in France recently, with the country passing a new equality-oriented education curriculum earlier this year.
- Game on: the Denver Broncos are playing the Carolina Panthers in the Super Bowl 50. We're bringing you the play-by-play 🏈🙌
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and Sen. Marco Rubio malfunctioned 🇺🇸
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."