1. Boys from 27 high schools in the French city of Nantes were given the chance to wear skirts Friday to school as part of an anti-sexism demonstration.
3. The demonstration was called “Ce que soulève la jupe” — alternately translated as “what raises the skirt” and “lift the skirt” — and was backed by the city’s education authorities.
5. Officials also encouraged girls to wear skirts.
7. Student Arthur Moinet, an organizer for the demonstration, said the event was sparked by an ongoing problem with sexism in his region.
“We noticed that in a lot of high schools in our region, there are lots of cases of sexism and discrimination, so we thought we should do something to change that, and so we came up with the idea,” Moinet told Euronews.
9. Boys were not required to participate, though a majority supported the demonstration, Euronews reported.
11. Boys who didn’t want to actually don a skirt could wear a pin reading, “I fight sexism, what about you?”
13. About 150 members of a conservative group called Les Sentinelles Nantes protested the demonstration.
15. Gender has been a contentious topic in France recently, with the country passing a new equality-oriented education curriculum earlier this year.
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- The U.S. has defeated Germany 2-0 in the Women's World Cup semis. Team USA will play Japan or England in the final ⚽️