2. They kind of remind us of The Simpsons Movie
5. 4. … Or ‘air-cleaning’ bikes
In 2013 Beijing-based inventor Matt Hope unveiled a bicycle with a face mask attached, with the air filtered through it cleaned when you pedal. The bike cost 180 yuan ($29) and featured an Ikea bin as part of its filtration system.
6. 5. Sucking up smog with vacuum cleaners
A vacuum cleaner that sucks up pollution was developed by Dutch designer Daan Rooseguard last year. It uses coils of copper to create an electrostatic field that attracts smog particles and, according to the developer, “Creates holes of 50-60 metres of clean air so you can see the sun again.” Rooseguard worked with the mayor of Beijing on the project.
11. 10. Making everyone get cremated in reusable coffins
This might not solve the wider problem of pollution, but a Hong Kong company has come up with coffins featuring a reusable outer shell, reducing the amount of waste and time taken to burn. So people can be green to the end…
13. 12. Or just, you know, trying to properly reduce emissions from factories and cars…
In light of recent public anger the Chinese government has announced that it’s setting up a 10 billion yuan fund ($1.65 billion) to tackle pollution and is set to fine heavy-polluting companies. There will be subsidies for lower-emission vehicles and moves to use cleaner coal in factories. Well, it’s either that or the domes…
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire, and it got intense.
- Bitterly cold temperatures and arctic winds began freezing large swathes of the U.S. Northeast ❄️