1. These are no longer considered cutting-edge graphics.
3. The model for Lara Croft will be over-the-hill before Obama’s second term is over.
5. Sonic the Hedgehog is old enough to drink.
9. You can now download arcade games on your phone for 99 cents (and it doesn’t cost extra to continue after you die).
10. The Museum of Modern Art is opening a video game exhibition.
It’s opening in March.
11. More people have bought “Mario” games than Beatles albums.
13. There are now more “Final Fantasy” games than “Land Before Time” movies.
14. The year the first “Mario Kart” came out, Pontiac released the Trans Sport GT minivan.
15. Sum 41’s “Fat Lip” was one of the newest songs on the original “Guitar Hero.”
Scott Harrison / Getty Images
16. The first “Zelda” game came out when Ronald Reagan was president.
17. “Star Fox 64” came out when Bill Clinton was president.
18. The first “Call of Duty” was set in World War II and the new one is set in the future.
19. There have been 13 “Mario Party” games.
21. The Nintendo Game Cube holds 190 times more gigabytes of data than the N64.
22. The average video game player is now 30 years old, according to the Entertainment Software Association.
Getty/Tony Barson / Via theesa.com
23. There is an entire generation of kids who have never played video games with a controller.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- Misty Copeland has become the first black female principal dancer in American Ballet Theater's 75-year history.