1. The International Olympic Committee voted Saturday for Tokyo to host the 2020 summer Olympic Games.
Pool / Getty
2. Tokyo beat out Istanbul and Madrid which were the two other finalist candidate cities.
3. Tokyo is the capital of Japan and the largest metropolitan area in the world, with more than 13 million people.
KAZUHIRO NOGI / AFP
4. Tokyo hosted the 1964 games. It is the eighth city to host multiple games and the first the hold multiple games outside Europe and the United States.
5. Here’s the crowd in Tokyo reacting after finding out their city won the bid.
7. “All three cities were capable of staging excellent Games in 2020, but in the end it was Tokyo’s bid that resonated the most with the IOC membership,” said IOC President Jacques Rogge.
FABRICE COFFRINI / AFP
Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!