1. The International Olympic Committee voted Saturday for Tokyo to host the 2020 summer Olympic Games.
3. Tokyo is the capital of Japan and the largest metropolitan area in the world, with more than 13 million people.
4. Tokyo hosted the 1964 games. It is the eighth city to host multiple games and the first the hold multiple games outside Europe and the United States.
5. Here’s the crowd in Tokyo reacting after finding out their city won the bid.
6. Tokyo beat out Istanbul in a 60-36 vote.
IOC’s final vote tally for the 2020 Olympics: Tokyo 60, Instanbul 36. (@iocmedia)
7. “All three cities were capable of staging excellent Games in 2020, but in the end it was Tokyo’s bid that resonated the most with the IOC membership,” said IOC President Jacques Rogge.
- President Obama will unveil a plan that is considered to be "the strongest action ever taken" in the U.S. to combat climate change.
- California Gov. Jerry Brown called for a state of emergency as wildfires burned thousands of acres by Sunday and forced hundreds of evacuations.
- Citigroup's student loan practices are being investigated as part of a government probe, the company reported in a filing.