1. The International Olympic Committee voted Saturday for Tokyo to host the 2020 summer Olympic Games.
3. Tokyo is the capital of Japan and the largest metropolitan area in the world, with more than 13 million people.
4. Tokyo hosted the 1964 games. It is the eighth city to host multiple games and the first the hold multiple games outside Europe and the United States.
5. Here’s the crowd in Tokyo reacting after finding out their city won the bid.
6. Tokyo beat out Istanbul in a 60-36 vote.
IOC’s final vote tally for the 2020 Olympics: Tokyo 60, Instanbul 36. (@iocmedia)
7. “All three cities were capable of staging excellent Games in 2020, but in the end it was Tokyo’s bid that resonated the most with the IOC membership,” said IOC President Jacques Rogge.
- U.S. President Barack Obama visited Oregon on Friday to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- A judge halted all eight scheduled executions in Arkansas. Inmates are challenging a law allowing the state to keep the source of its execution drugs a secret. ›