1. The International Olympic Committee voted Saturday for Tokyo to host the 2020 summer Olympic Games.
2. Tokyo beat out Istanbul and Madrid which were the two other finalist candidate cities.
3. Tokyo is the capital of Japan and the largest metropolitan area in the world, with more than 13 million people.
4. Tokyo hosted the 1964 games. It is the eighth city to host multiple games and the first the hold multiple games outside Europe and the United States.
5. Here’s the crowd in Tokyo reacting after finding out their city won the bid.
6. Tokyo beat out Istanbul in a 60-36 vote.
IOC’s final vote tally for the 2020 Olympics: Tokyo 60, Instanbul 36. (@iocmedia)
7. “All three cities were capable of staging excellent Games in 2020, but in the end it was Tokyo’s bid that resonated the most with the IOC membership,” said IOC President Jacques Rogge.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›