1. The moon appeared larger, closer and brighter Friday night, and that’s because fall is here.
2. Known as the “Harvest Moon,” it’s the full moon closest to the autumn equinox.
3. It was used by farmers to know when to harvest crops.
4. The moon appears larger because of its rise time and angle of path.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- At least 24 homes have been lost and one firefighter killed as dozens of wildfires continue to ravage drought-stricken California.