1. The moon appeared larger, closer and brighter Friday night, and that’s because fall is here.
2. Known as the “Harvest Moon,” it’s the full moon closest to the autumn equinox.
3. It was used by farmers to know when to harvest crops.
4. The moon appears larger because of its rise time and angle of path.
In The News Today
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald have won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›
- Grace Lee Boggs, Detroit activist and civil rights pioneer, has died at the age of 100, according to the Boggs Center. ›