1. Several Sallie Mae accounts have appeared on Instagram since the government shutdown Tuesday.
2. Many claim to be offering loan forgiveness to followers.
3. The accounts, however, are fake. A spokesperson told BuzzFeed:
“We do not have a contest or sweepstakes on Instagram.
Some people are using the government shutdown to create Internet hoaxes about several different companies, and this is one of them. Student loans are unaffected by the government shutdown. We’re here to assist you with any borrowing and repayment needs, as usual.
You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for official news about saving, planning and paying for college. Our Twitter handle is @salliemae and Facebook page is Facebook.com/salliemae.”
- The Taliban has appointed Mullah Akhtar Mansour as its new Afghan leader.
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday "very likely" belongs to the same type of aircraft as missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Uber drivers near the International Airport of Mexico City were pelted with rocks, sticks, eggs, and flour on Wednesday. Local authorities are investigating.