1. A first-edition “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” with some hand-written notes from J.K. Rowling was auctioned off for about $227,421 in London in May.
2. She wrote that Hufflepuff was almost a bear.
Her notes say:
“Changed my life forever.”
“No shield here - crest. I mean all that came in the later editions. This one’s a bit wonky but you get the idea.”
“Perhaps Hufflepuff house would have the respect it deserves from the fans if I’d stayed with my original idea of a bear to represent it?”
Her notes say:
“Harry Potter rolled over inside his blanket.”
Quidditch “was invented in a small hotel in Manchester after a row with my then boyfriend. I had been pondering the things that hold a society together, cause it to congregate and signify its particular character and knew I needed a sport. It infuriates men, in my experience (why is the Snitch so valuable etc), which is quite satisfying given my state of mind when I invented it.”
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️