1. To promote the film “Oz The Great And Powerful,” Disney planned to fly a hot air balloon over New York City.
2. Things started out good…
We’re up! #DisneyOz http://t.co/UDWKfQfFCO— Sam Champion
3. But then the balloon never got out of Central Park.
4. Because it was too windy and the balloon was blown back into Central Park where it ripped.
The balloon I was supposed to go in had some wind trouble - came down on a Central Park fountain and ripped. http://t.co/ILVf6mccGa— Roger Clark
I seriously have never seen a hot air balloon land on a fountain and rip…until just now.— Roger Clark
@jenchung nope, there is a six foot hole in it. It’s done for the day.— Roger Clark
8. The balloon only made it 10 to 20 feet in the air before it was blown down, according to Gothamist
9. Luckily, no one was injured, and the balloon is scheduled to be in New York City another day, according to Disney.
- A boat packed with mainly African migrants bound for Italy sank off the Libyan coast on Thursday and officials fear over 100 people might have died, Reuters reports. ›
- President Obama marked a decade of recovery after Hurricane Katrina, citing gains, but also the immense amount of work that he said still needs to be done. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said (on Faceboook, obviously) that one billion people used the service on Monday. ›