1. To promote the film “Oz The Great And Powerful,” Disney planned to fly a hot air balloon over New York City.
2. Things started out good…
We’re up! #DisneyOz http://t.co/UDWKfQfFCO— Sam Champion
3. But then the balloon never got out of Central Park.
4. Because it was too windy and the balloon was blown back into Central Park where it ripped.
The balloon I was supposed to go in had some wind trouble - came down on a Central Park fountain and ripped. http://t.co/ILVf6mccGa— Roger Clark
I seriously have never seen a hot air balloon land on a fountain and rip…until just now.— Roger Clark
@jenchung nope, there is a six foot hole in it. It’s done for the day.— Roger Clark
8. The balloon only made it 10 to 20 feet in the air before it was blown down, according to Gothamist
9. Luckily, no one was injured, and the balloon is scheduled to be in New York City another day, according to Disney.
- President Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the airstrike that killed 22 people at a clinic in Afghanistan. ›
- The U.S. Coast Guard said it will suspend the search for the crew of El Faro, the cargo ship that went missing in the Caribbean during Hurricane Joaquin last week. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›