1. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) listed President George W. Bush as one of three men who saved the United States from a second Great Depression.
2. Schumer told The New York Times, “[Federal Reserve Chairman] Ben Bernanke, along with George Bush and Barack Obama, saved us from another Great Depression. Twenty years from now, that’s what history will say about all three of them.”
3. Schumer was previously a vocal critic of Bush, criticizing his “disastrous course” in 2008.
4. “On economic issues, Bush was not an ideologue,” Schumer said. “On his most important economic appointment, he showed who he was.” Bush selected Bernanke, a Princeton University economics professor and expert on the Great Depression, as chairman in 2005.
5. Obama reappointed Bernanke as chairman in 2009. He is expected to step down from the position later this year.
- The final four remaining Oregon wildlife refuge occupiers have surrendered to the FBI, ending a 40-day protest.
- Southern California Gas said the massive natural gas leak that forced thousands of residents from their homes is now under control.
- Time for Democratic presidential debate number six: Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will face each other in Wisconsin tonight 🇺🇸