Online health insurance marketplaces for Obamacare open Tuesday, where people can compare health plans.
But Obamacare remains unpopular and confusing. According to a CNBC poll, 46% of Americans opposed Obamacare while 37% opposed the Affordable Care Act, which is kind of concerning because they’re the same thing.
Luckily, Obama and his friends are doing their best to educate everyone.
9. First off, he’s tweeted about it a lot.
8. And he’s gotten some pop stars to tweet about it too.
7. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services used mustaches.
3. California received $80 million from the federal government to promote its state’s marketplace and made ads like this.
2. The Obama administration tried to get professional sports leagues to promote it, but they said no.
Republican senators wrote letters to the leagues asking them not to get involved in “a highly polarized public debate.”
1. But it’s OK because cute animals are promoting it now.
The Adorable Care Act started tweeting last week. White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters Tuesday he hadn’t seen the account and didn’t know who was running it.
In fact, no one knows who runs it. OFA and the DNC have denied involvement. The White House Twitter account has, however, RT’d the animal pictures. “Everyone loves cute animals,” Carney said.
A pro-Affordable Care Act group, Americans United, has denied involvement as well.
pro-ACA group @AU4Change tells BuzzFeed it is not the org behind @AdorableCareAct
(Although they say it’s a great idea.)
@EvanMcSan @AdorableCareAct But it’s a great idea!
“Everyone loves cute animals,” Carney said. “Any way that we can get out the information…is worth trying.”
David Simas, the Obama campaign’s director of public-opinion research and polling, told The Washington Post young, healthy males need to be reached for the health care marketplace to work.
“What do we know about them? They’re overwhelmingly male. They’re majority nonwhite. One out of every three lives in California, Florida or Texas.”
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who were on the scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave. The officer accused of killing Dubose has been released from jail after posting bond.
- An ultra-Orthodox man stabbed six people at Jerusalem's gay pride parade on Thursday.
- The new Apple TV will debut in September, along with its own App Store, sources tell BuzzFeed News.