1. There’s that lovely moment when the interviewer says, “Tell me about yourself,” and you have no idea where to start.
Art by Randy Glasbergen.
2. Or when you study the company and do all this research and then forget everything the moment you start speaking.
3. When they ask you why you want to work there.
4. When they ask you what your biggest weaknesses are….as if you have any.
Art by Gail Weiss
But seriously, the “biggest weakness” question is such a lose-lose situation. You either sound like a douchey humblebragger…
Art by Poorly Drawn Lines.
…or you end up revealing an awkwardly honest thing about yourself.
And we all know honesty has no place in the job interview!
See full conversation at College Humor.
5. When they don’t respect your non-traditional but clearly qualified experience.
Illustration by Craig Swanson and idea by James Cennamo.
6. Or when you get stuck in the “Do you have experience?” Catch 22
Art by Jacob Andrews.
And everything you’ve been told about education and work begins to look more and more like a giant farce.
7. When you become so aware of your tongue and your body and all of a sudden forget how to exist as a normal human.
8. Then there are those interviews that have a million rounds.
As if the regular interview timescale doesn’t contain enough anxiety.
9. Or the cruel invention that is the group interview.
10. Or worst of all, when the whole thing is just a phone interview.
Who doesn’t love trying to impress someone over the phone where all the nuances of human communication can be so easily relayed?
11. Then when you reach the end, they always ask if you have any questions for them.
But of course you don’t because you actually researched them and were paying attention during the damn interview so you just wing it…
13. And then you play this healthy game where you replay the whole interview in your head.
over and over again…
14. And you wait to hear back…
You want to call them to “follow up” but you also don’t want to be annoying.
You repeat this lovely process a million times and somehow manage to stay sane.
- President Obama has announced a new rule that would expand eligibility for overtime pay to millions more Americans.
- An order from the U.S. Supreme Court means Texas abortion clinics affected by a new state law can stay open while the law is challenged.
- Transgender women can be housed in women's immigrant detention facilities under new guidelines issued today.