1. First report - 1:42 p.m.: AP breaks the story that an arrest is imminent.
BREAKING: Law enforcement official: Arrest imminent in Boston Marathon bombing, suspect to be brought to court.— The Associated Press
2. Update - 1:43 p.m.: Reuters reports that investigators do not have the name of a suspect, makes no mention of a suspect in custody.
Boston bomb investigators do not have name yet of suspect seen in security video - U.S. government source #breaking— Reuters Top News
3. Update - 1:46 p.m.: Citing the AP report and an independent source, CNN tells viewers that an arrest has been made.
CNN: Arrest has been made in Boston Marathon bombing investigation.— BuzzFeed News
4. CNN reports that video from a nearby Lord & Taylor department store was helpful in identifying a “dark skinned male” as a possible suspect.
5. Update - 1:51 p.m.: Reuters reports CNN’s story that a suspect is in custody.
Boston bomb suspect in custody, CNN reports, citing unnamed U.S. law enforcement source #developing— Reuters US News
6. Update - 1:51 p.m.: In a live special report, ABC News reports that an arrest “may be imminent.”
Live Special Report: Arrest in Boston bombings may be imminent: http://t.co/cYl9HOrfiQ— ABC News
7. Update - 1:55 p.m.: In a live special report, NBC’s Pete Williams says that no arrest has been made but individuals have been identified as persons of “great interest.”
8. Update - 1:59 p.m.: CBS News reports that law enforcement sources are “very encouraged” by latest developments.
UPDATE: @CBSNews’ Bob Orr reports that law enforcement sources are very encouraged by latest developments http://t.co/43l5jNEvIz— CBS News
9. Update - 2:00 p.m.: FOX News reports that an arrest has been made.
10. Update - 2:02 p.m.: AP updates its story and reports that a suspect is in police custody.
BREAKING: Law enforcement official: Boston Marathon bomb suspect in custody, expected in federal court. -BW— The Associated Press
11. Update - 2:03 p.m.: CBS reports that no arrest has been made.
JUST IN: @CBSNews has learned that NO ARREST has been made in Boston Marathon bombing case http://t.co/2diqZk0RNz— CBS News
12. Update - 2:05 p.m.: FOX News confirms that an arrest has been made.
#BREAKING NEWS: http://t.co/m6O9czWONs confirms arrest made in deadly #Boston Marathon bombing http://t.co/WOaiOq6Tjz— Fox News
13. Update - 2:06 p.m.: Boston Police scanner says that the suspect is en route to the Federal Courthouse.
Boston Police Scanner: Suspect en route to Federal Courthouse. (@catesish)— Ellie Hall
14. Update - 2:08 p.m.: ABC reports that authorities are “close to identifying a suspect.”
BREAKING: an official in Massachusetts tells ABC News authorities are close to identifying a suspect in the #BostonMarathon bombings.— Paula Faris
15. Update - 2:09 p.m.: NBC News doubles down, says no arrest has been made.
“All we can say for certain, is that all of our sources say no arrest.” -@PeteWilliamsNBC #bostonmarathon— TODAY
16. Update - 2:13 p.m.: CNN tweets that a suspect has been arrested.
Authorities have arrested a suspect in Boston - news briefing expected at 5 p.m. ET: http://t.co/305udKpOJ7 Details on @CNN TV now.— CNN
17. Update - 2:18 p.m.: CBS reports that no arrest has been made, but a suspect was identified through cell phone tower logs.
CORRECTED. Source tells @CBSNews suspect identified in Boston bombings through cell phone tower call logs. NO arrest yet.— Charlie Kaye
18. Update - 2:24 p.m.: Reuters stands by its earlier statement that no arrests have been made.
No arrests made yet in Boston bomb investigation - government, law enforcement sources— Reuters Top News
19. Update - 2:25 p.m.: Boston Globe reports that the suspect is being taken to the US District Court in South Boston.
Boston Globe source reports suspect being taken to US District Court in South Boston.— The Boston Globe
20. Update - 2:26 p.m.: Media descends on the Federal Courthouse in Boston.
[PHOTO] Outside Federal Court in Boston: http://t.co/jMdP51JG4P— CNBC Newsroom
21. Update - 2:32 p.m.: Citing multiple sources, NBC reports that no arrest has been made.
Multiple sources confirm to NBC News: “No Arrest”— NBC News
22. Update - 2:33 p.m.: Boston Police Department says there has not been an arrest.
Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack.— Boston Police Dept.
23. Update - 2:36 p.m.: Boston Globe reports that there is NO suspect in custody and NO ONE is under arrest.
US Attorney’s office: There is no marathon bombing suspect in custody and no arrest— The Boston Globe
24. Boston Globe reports that this is a “dramatic change in status” of the investigation.
Dramatic change in status of Boston Marathon bombing invstigation: Authorities are now saying:”No arrest and no one in custody.”— The Boston Globe
25. Update - 2:38 p.m.: CNN backtracks, says that no arrest has been made.
CNN’s @JoeJohnsCNN reports no arrest has been made - details on our live blog and on @CNN TV: http://t.co/305udKpOJ7— CNN
26. Update - 2:37 p.m.: BuzzFeed’s Jessica Testa reports that Homeland Security officers are outside the federal courthouse.
Police here aren’t BPD. They’re Homeland Security. http://t.co/4Uq3DwGTSk— jessica testa
27. Update - 2:42 p.m.: CBS reports that the suspect is a white male, describes clothing.
JUST IN: Man sought as possible suspect is WHITE MALE, wearing white baseball cap on backwards, gray hoodie and black jacket.— CBS News
28. Update - 2:43 p.m.: FBI spokesperson tells Bloomberg News that no arrest has been made.
No arrests made in Boston Marathon bombing case: FBI spokesperson | http://t.co/ONmihR4bsR— Bloomberg News
29. Update - 2:47 p.m.: AP walks it back, reports that there’s no suspect in custody.
BREAKING: Federal officials deny that Boston Marathon bombing suspect is in custody.— The Associated Press
30. Update - 2:49 p.m.: FOX News backpedals, cites “conflicting reports.”
#BREAKING: Conflicting reports over report of possible suspect in #Boston Marathon bombing http://t.co/WOaiOq6Tjz— Fox News
31. Update - 2:52.: BuzzFeed’s Jessica Testa reports on media chaos at the Boston federal courthouse.
1,000 reporters, no official reason we should be here. http://t.co/Sc6lyM2QrL— jessica testa
32. Update - 2:53 p.m.: Conflicting reports appear on CNN’s homepage.
CNN home page screengrab say it all - worthy of Newseum display: #boston http://t.co/m16n2QRmAF— David Brauer
33. Update - 2:58 p.m.: The FBI releases a statement confirming that no arrest has been made.
34. Update - 3:00 p.m.: CNN posts a correction on its Facebook page.
Note: BuzzFeed posted this image at 3:34 p.m. and placed it in its proper spot in the timeline.
35. Update - 3:05 p.m.: AP says its law enforcement source stood by the information despite conflicting reports.
AP say its law enforcement source “stood by the information even after it was disputed” http://t.co/a2gjLo0YaF— Michael Calderone
36. Update - 3:06 p.m.: Boston Globe says that the federal courthouse and a hospital where marathon victims have been treated are being evacuated.
BREAKING NEWS: Federal court is being evacuated and a witness says Brigham and Women’s Hospital is also being evacuated.— The Boston Globe
37. Update - 3:07 p.m.: Reuters reports that the courthouse has been evacuated.
Security officials clear Boston courthouse — order court staff, attorneys, media to leave — Reuters witness #breaking— Reuters US News
38. Update - 3:12 p.m.: Boston Globe confirms reports of the evacuation.
Federal courthouse evacuated; hundreds outside. People are being pushed back from building. Coast Guard and police boats in water.— The Boston Globe
39. Update - 3:13 p.m.: Journalist posts panorama view of the media presence outside the federal courthouse.
3:13pm panorama, we are being asked to move back ‘for our safety’ http://t.co/NvUPuQ0m6L— Joe Spurr
40. Update - 3:17 p.m.: WCVB-TV Boston reports that the evacuation has been labeled a “Code Red.”
Veteran prosecutor tells @wcvbkelleyt this is the first “Code Red” in his memory. #BREAKING http://t.co/vEEnRzvn20— WCVB-TV Boston
41. Update - 3:18 p.m.: BuzzFeed’s Jessica Testa reports that a K-9 unit has entered the courthouse.
K-9 unit just walked into courthouse.— jessica testa
42. Update - 3:28 p.m.: ABC News says courthouse was evacuated due to a bomb threat. No device was found.
U.S. Marshals: Bomb threat made against the federal courthouse in Boston. At this time, no device found .http://t.co/X7bfygMVtj— ABC News
43. Update - 3:29 p.m.: BuzzFeed’s Jessica Testa reports that reporters outside the Boston federal courthouse have been forced to move across the street.
And yet we’re being pushed back even further. My view of the court house now: http://t.co/DlnL5mtgvS— jessica testa
44. Update - 3:36 p.m.: BuzzFeed’s Ryan Broderick reports that 4chan is claiming to have called in the courthouse bomb threat.
4chan claims they called in the Boston Bomb Threat http://t.co/rqAZJdbcM1— Ryan Broderick
45. Update - 3:38 p.m.: Boston Globe reporter says courthouse evacuation caused by media presence.
Source telling me that Fed Courthouse evacuated b/c of my brethren in the media. We apparently created a false alarm.— Maria Cramer
46. Update - 4:19 p.m.: Boston Federal Courthouse gives all clear signal.
Courthouse was declared open by a man coming outside and waving a large green flag. (Seriously). http://t.co/lfFUkzY2eL— Adam Gabbatt
47. Update - 4:24 p.m.: Boston Globe reports that 5 p.m. FBI briefing has been cancelled.
Officials cancel promised 5 p.m. briefing on the Boston Marathon citing ‘today’s events at Moakley Courthouse’ where bomb scare led to evac.— The Boston Globe
48. Update - 4:36 p.m.: Reuters reports that the FBI has postponed the 5 p.m. press briefing.
FBI postpones planned 5:00PM ET news briefing on Boston Marathon investigation, new time unclear: FBI spokeswoman #developing— Reuters US News
49. Update - Boston Globe pretty much sums it up.
Public confusion engulfed the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing this afternoon http://t.co/tjFHjnsOYo— The Boston Globe