BREAKING: Law enforcement official: Arrest imminent in Boston Marathon bombing, suspect to be brought to court.
1. First report - 1:42 p.m.: AP breaks the story that an arrest is imminent.
2. Update - 1:43 p.m.: Reuters reports that investigators do not have the name of a suspect, makes no mention of a suspect in custody.
3. Update - 1:46 p.m.: Citing the AP report and an independent source, CNN tells viewers that an arrest has been made.
4. CNN reports that video from a nearby Lord & Taylor department store was helpful in identifying a “dark skinned male” as a possible suspect.
5. Update - 1:51 p.m.: Reuters reports CNN’s story that a suspect is in custody.
6. Update - 1:51 p.m.: In a live special report, ABC News reports that an arrest “may be imminent.”
7. Update - 1:55 p.m.: In a live special report, NBC’s Pete Williams says that no arrest has been made but individuals have been identified as persons of “great interest.”
8. Update - 1:59 p.m.: CBS News reports that law enforcement sources are “very encouraged” by latest developments.
9. Update - 2:00 p.m.: FOX News reports that an arrest has been made.
10. Update - 2:02 p.m.: AP updates its story and reports that a suspect is in police custody.
11. Update - 2:03 p.m.: CBS reports that no arrest has been made.
12. Update - 2:05 p.m.: FOX News confirms that an arrest has been made.
13. Update - 2:06 p.m.: Boston Police scanner says that the suspect is en route to the Federal Courthouse.
14. Update - 2:08 p.m.: ABC reports that authorities are “close to identifying a suspect.”
15. Update - 2:09 p.m.: NBC News doubles down, says no arrest has been made.
16. Update - 2:13 p.m.: CNN tweets that a suspect has been arrested.
17. Update - 2:18 p.m.: CBS reports that no arrest has been made, but a suspect was identified through cell phone tower logs.
18. Update - 2:24 p.m.: Reuters stands by its earlier statement that no arrests have been made.
19. Update - 2:25 p.m.: Boston Globe reports that the suspect is being taken to the US District Court in South Boston.
20. Update - 2:26 p.m.: Media descends on the Federal Courthouse in Boston.
21. Update - 2:32 p.m.: Citing multiple sources, NBC reports that no arrest has been made.
22. Update - 2:33 p.m.: Boston Police Department says there has not been an arrest.
23. Update - 2:36 p.m.: Boston Globe reports that there is NO suspect in custody and NO ONE is under arrest.
24. Boston Globe reports that this is a “dramatic change in status” of the investigation.
25. Update - 2:38 p.m.: CNN backtracks, says that no arrest has been made.
26. Update - 2:37 p.m.: BuzzFeed’s Jessica Testa reports that Homeland Security officers are outside the federal courthouse.
27. Update - 2:42 p.m.: CBS reports that the suspect is a white male, describes clothing.
28. Update - 2:43 p.m.: FBI spokesperson tells Bloomberg News that no arrest has been made.
29. Update - 2:47 p.m.: AP walks it back, reports that there’s no suspect in custody.
30. Update - 2:49 p.m.: FOX News backpedals, cites “conflicting reports.”
31. Update - 2:52.: BuzzFeed’s Jessica Testa reports on media chaos at the Boston federal courthouse.
32. Update - 2:53 p.m.: Conflicting reports appear on CNN’s homepage.
33. Update - 2:58 p.m.: The FBI releases a statement confirming that no arrest has been made.
34. Update - 3:00 p.m.: CNN posts a correction on its Facebook page.
Note: BuzzFeed posted this image at 3:34 p.m. and placed it in its proper spot in the timeline.