1. A series of fake iOS 7 ads claiming that the software update will make devices waterproof has been circulating on the internet.
3. The fake advertising campaign began as a 4chan prank.
4. Soon, videos of people claiming to have tried the new waterproof feature began to circulate.
6. Apparently, some iPhone users believed the ads:
OK whoever said updating to iOS 7 would make my iPhone waterproof FUCK YOU
Anyone have a iPhone for sale? Someone told me iOS7 was waterproof and obviously mine wasn’t….
Whoever said the iOS7 makes your phone waterproof. Fuck you
â€œ@AjakeC1: iOS 7 waterproofs your phone! Go try it out!â€ NOW MY PHONE HAS WATER DAMAGE.!
Whoever said iOS 7 is Waterproof your phone…. Fuck You
11. Don’t try this at home.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- At least 24 homes have been lost and one firefighter killed as dozens of wildfires continue to ravage drought-stricken California.