1. UN High Commission for Refugees representative Andrew Harper tweeted this powerful image of a 4-year-old Syrian refugee boy who was separated from his family while they fled their country.
2. Fortunately, the child — whose name is Marwan — was reunited with his parents after crossing over into Jordan.
3. The U.N. reports that more than 2.5 million Syrians have fled their homes since the outbreak of civil war in March 2011. Half of these refugees are children.
4. Update - Monday, Feb. 17, 2014 6:20 p.m. ET: Guardian journalist Shiv Malik confirmed the child was just a few steps away from his parents when the photo was taken.
Ellie Hall is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Washington, D.C.
Contact Ellie Hall at email@example.com.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›
- Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›