Barney (L) and Miss Beazley sit on the driveway on the South Lawn of the White House December 17, 2006.
2. Former President George W. Bush released a statement on Barney’s passing:
Laura and I are sad to announce that our Scottish Terrier, Barney, has passed away. The little fellow had been suffering from lymphoma and after twelve and a half years of life, his body could not fight off the illness.
Barney and I enjoyed the outdoors. He loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch. He was a fierce armadillo hunter. At Camp David, his favorite activity was chasing golf balls on the chipping green.
Barney guarded the South Lawn entrance of the White House as if he were a Secret Service agent. He wandered the halls of the West Wing looking for treats from his many friends. He starred in Barney Cam and gave the American people Christmas tours of the White House. Barney greeted Queens, Heads of State, and Prime Ministers. He was always polite and never jumped in their laps.
Barney was by my side during our eight years in the White House. He never discussed politics and was always a faithful friend. Laura and I will miss our pal.
President Bush, Karl Rove and first dog Barney on May 13, 2005.
Barney (L) and Miss Beazley play in the snow on the White House lawn.
6. A Tribute To Barney Bush:
- Justice Antonin Scalia, the conservative heart of the U.S. Supreme Court for more than a decade, has died. He was 79.
- Scalia was the current court's longest-serving justice, having been nominated in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan.
- Republicans are extremely unlikely to confirm anyone that President Obama nominates in the final months of his second term.