1. Meet Lamont Simpson, WNBA referee.
2. What’s that on his head, you ask?
3. Oh, just an ear mounted glasses camera! It’s like an NSA you can wear on your face!
4. It’s designed to show the game from the ref’s field of vision. Very authentically.
5. Simpson told Sports Illustrated the camera “took some adjusting to, especially when you start running and actually broke a sweat.”
6. But he got the hang of it! And the result was some pretty cool footage.
7. WNBA players seemed to like it.
Ref cam is the most hilarious invention! Omg…comedy
8. And Simpson had fun, too: “I would gladly do it again,” he said.
The camera was developed by Broadcast Sports Inc. and while it’s a completely independent piece of technology from Google Glass, it’s not hard to imagine networks, leagues, and organizations strapping these types of POV devices to more and more athletes in the coming days/months/years.
10. Here are a few Ref Cam highlights:
- The Dutch Safety Board has released a final report of its investigation into why Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 broke up over Ukraine in 2014. ›
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›
- SAB Miller has accepted "in principle" a takeover offer from Anheuser-Busch InBev, which would create the world's largest beer company. ›