1. Meet Lamont Simpson, WNBA referee.
2. What’s that on his head, you ask?
3. Oh, just an ear mounted glasses camera! It’s like an NSA you can wear on your face!
4. It’s designed to show the game from the ref’s field of vision. Very authentically.
5. Simpson told Sports Illustrated the camera “took some adjusting to, especially when you start running and actually broke a sweat.”
6. But he got the hang of it! And the result was some pretty cool footage.
7. WNBA players seemed to like it.
Ref cam is the most hilarious invention! Omg…comedy
8. And Simpson had fun, too: “I would gladly do it again,” he said.
The camera was developed by Broadcast Sports Inc. and while it’s a completely independent piece of technology from Google Glass, it’s not hard to imagine networks, leagues, and organizations strapping these types of POV devices to more and more athletes in the coming days/months/years.
10. Here are a few Ref Cam highlights:
- Chicago officials have released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. The officer was charged with murder Tuesday. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›