1. Meet Lamont Simpson, WNBA referee.
2. What’s that on his head, you ask?
3. Oh, just an ear mounted glasses camera! It’s like an NSA you can wear on your face!
4. It’s designed to show the game from the ref’s field of vision. Very authentically.
5. Simpson told Sports Illustrated the camera “took some adjusting to, especially when you start running and actually broke a sweat.”
6. But he got the hang of it! And the result was some pretty cool footage.
7. WNBA players seemed to like it.
8. And Simpson had fun, too: “I would gladly do it again,” he said.
The camera was developed by Broadcast Sports Inc. and while it’s a completely independent piece of technology from Google Glass, it’s not hard to imagine networks, leagues, and organizations strapping these types of POV devices to more and more athletes in the coming days/months/years.