Update 12/14/13: The New York Times confirmed late Friday that it has completed its acquisition of Boston Dynamics, the company behind the robots below.
2. This is Petman, DARPA’s already terrifying, walking robot. But it’s about to be replaced…
3. By this terrible machine-beast, Atlas. Atlas is 6 feet tall, has 28 hydraulic joints, articulated hands and feet, and an unflinching desire to see the machines rise again.
4. Here it is pretending to conduct a symphony…a symphony of human suffering.
5. This is what Atlas looks like as it chases you through the nightmarish halls of your mind.
6. Normally, we’d suggest you head to higher ground, but that’s no use…
7. Its gymnast-like balance means you can’t knock it over.
8. What about tripping it? Sure, go ahead and try to trip it. That should wor—Nope.
9. The machines are here.
10. Stay vigilant.
- Budapest's main train station has opened its doors after a two-day stand-off, during which hundreds of people without a valid European Union visa weren't allowed on trains. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China's President Xi Jinping has said army personnel will be reduced by 300,000, the biggest cut to the military in almost two decades. ›