1. Updated – 6:50 a.m., ET
2. The two men traveling with stolen passports were Iranians with no apparent ties to terror groups, officials said Tuesday.
Officials identified the men as 18-year-old Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad (left) and Delavar Syed Mohammad Reza, 29.
Malaysian police believe Mehrdad was seeking asylum in Germany.
Authorities do not believe either man is member of a terrorist group.
3. According to the Associated Press, Mehrdad’s mother is apparently waiting for him in Frankfurt and contacted Malaysian authorities after she became concerned when she didn’t hear from her son.
5. In a statement Tuesday, Malaysia Airlines said rescue teams “have expanded the scope beyond the flight path to the West Peninsula of Malaysia at the Straits of Malacca.”
As far as a cause of the disappearance, the airline said that “all angles are being looked at. We are not ruling out any possibilities.”
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- Kentucky clerk Kim Davis has been taken into federal custody until she orders her staff to issue marriage licenses. ›