1. Meet North Carolina Senator Richard Burr.
2. He is kinda famous for driving around a VW Thing on the Hill.
Burr has owned the car for 22 years.
3. You can see the beautiful creature sitting outside the Senate office building any given day.
6. But have you ever taken a good look inside?
7. The senator is very prepared.
8. The key just sits in the ignition next to some wires.
9. A lei, aerosol can, a tiger tail and some old parking tickets decorate the passenger side.
10. The windshield is a bit cracked.
11. But there is still a rearview mirror.
12. In the front floor there is a diverse collection of leaves.
14. The senator sits on a towel when he drives.
The passenger seat is camouflaged.
15. The back seat may have a few holes in the upholstery. Also some leaves.
16. There is some legislation on the floor in the back.
19. Lil paint chipping.
22. BuzzFeed has made multiple requests to Burr’s office to drive around in the car with him, but has not received a response.
- The European Union is now using naval vessels in the Mediterranean to intercept boats that are smuggling refugees and migrants to Europe. ›
- Texas carried out its 11th execution of the year on Tuesday — the most of any state — putting to death an inmate who murdered a man over $8. ›
- The U.S. is investigating how a cargo ship with 33 people on board sank during Hurricane Joaquin. The ship went missing in the Caribbean last week. ›