This post has been corrected to remove phrasing that was copied from CBS News.
BuzzFeed takes its responsibility to readers very seriously, and plagiarism is a major breach of that responsibility. Please read our apology to readers here.
2. Two years ago, both Congress and President Obama agreed that if they couldn’t reach a compromise on spending cuts by the end of 2012, across-the-board cuts would go into effect automatically.
3. These spending cuts, called sequestration, will take place on March 1st. However, neither party really wants to see them happen now.
4. And they both refuse to agree on a solution.
5. The White House has blamed Congress for sequestration.
6. But Republicans point out that these cuts were the White House’s idea originally.
7. The White House reminded House Republicans that a vast majority of their members voted for the cuts in 2011.
8. But the Republicans reminded Obama that this was bipartisan legislation that he signed.
9. So Team Obama created their own hashtag on twitter called “JobsNotCuts.”
10. And so House Speaker John Boehner created his own hashtag on twitter called “Obamaquester.”
11. Obama said, “I will sign something that replaces the broad cuts with a balance of spending cuts and new revenue.”
12. But Republicans and Bob Woodward all said, “That is not the deal you signed, you’re going back on your word.”
13. Obama said “I will take the argument on the road to the American people.”
15. So, over the last two weeks, the president has been on a nation wide trip decrying the cuts as “horrible” and “debilitating” while blaming them on the Republicans.
16. But Republicans said, “You’re wasting everyone’s time and money. Get back to DC.”
18. But Republicans said: “No, you come meet with us!”
19. And so it looks like the cuts are going to happen all while our leaders in Washington do this:
20. So while unemployment rises to 7.9% nationwide…
22. And while households on food stamps reach new records…
24. And while 23.5% of America’s Black and Hispanic populations remain unemployed…
26. And while median household incomes fall four years in a row…
28. And while the U.S. National Debt remains staggering…
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›