For the first time in history, Washington, D.C., has a Walmart.
After some gigantic regulation battles, the big-box store was finally allowed to build in downtown, urban D.C.
And it is only a mile from the White House.
But this is not your daddy’s Walmart.
Here are some things that are different from any Walmart I have ever been to.
1. It looks like a mix between loft apartments and a Borders.
3. It has a bright underground entrance.
5. As you enter, you will notice there are red, white, and blue balloons everywhere.
6. The store itself is quite small, as are the aisles.
7. GERM WIPES.
I used 100.
8. A big, fat D.C. flag.
9. There is a section for Gourmet refrigerated pet food.
You can try some!
12. ALL of the employees were overly friendly. Like, honestly, you can’t go 3.5 feet without being asked if you need any help.
13. Extremely burnt rotisserie chicken.
I bought the one next to it and it was tasty.
14. Victorian snowball fights.
15. Tourist #SWAG.
16. Ugly Christmas sweaters.
17. Armed U.S. Capitol Police.
18. And there are 75,002 check-out aisles.
19. You can also live above this Walmart.
BUT HAVE NO FEAR. This Walmart maintains the special Walmart touches that keep you coming back for more.
Like the bargain DVD bin.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?