For the first time in history, Washington, D.C., has a Walmart.
After some gigantic regulation battles, the big-box store was finally allowed to build in downtown, urban D.C.
And it is only a mile from the White House.
But this is not your daddy’s Walmart.
Here are some things that are different from any Walmart I have ever been to.
1. It looks like a mix between loft apartments and a Borders.
3. It has a bright underground entrance.
5. As you enter, you will notice there are red, white, and blue balloons everywhere.
6. The store itself is quite small, as are the aisles.
7. GERM WIPES.
I used 100.
8. A big, fat D.C. flag.
9. There is a section for Gourmet refrigerated pet food.
You can try some!
12. ALL of the employees were overly friendly. Like, honestly, you can’t go 3.5 feet without being asked if you need any help.
13. Extremely burnt rotisserie chicken.
I bought the one next to it and it was tasty.
14. Victorian snowball fights.
15. Tourist #SWAG.
16. Ugly Christmas sweaters.
17. Armed U.S. Capitol Police.
18. And there are 75,002 check-out aisles.
19. You can also live above this Walmart.
BUT HAVE NO FEAR. This Walmart maintains the special Walmart touches that keep you coming back for more.
Like the bargain DVD bin.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.
- A pilot has broken the world records for longest solo flight and longest non-stop flight ever taken in a solar-powered airplane ?