3. According to an eyewitness who watched the event: “The money was real, mostly ones. I went up and handled some before handing it back to the cop.”
When asked exactly how much they thought was there, the witness told BuzzFeed, “there was approximately $500 there.”
4. The Capitol Police have since released this statement:
“At about 1:00 pm today, the USCP arrested 3 demonstrators in the atrium of the Hart Senate Office Building. They were charged with “Crowding, Obstructing & Incommoding” under DC Code 22-1307.”
5. According to another eyewitness, one of the protesters was “doing a snow angel in the cash.”
6. UPDATE: The demonstrators have been identified as apart of the Organic Consumers Association and were posing as lobbyists on the Hill.
According to a spokesperson, the demonstrators threw the money to demonstrate how much money lobbyists, specifically biotechnology and food industry lobbyists, throw around on Capitol Hill.
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire, and it got intense.
- Bitterly cold temperatures and arctic winds began freezing large swathes of the U.S. Northeast ❄️