1. Democratic Senator Mark Begich is in a tough reelection campaign.
Even with this fabulous cape.
2. It is Begich’s birthday on Sunday and the Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee decided to send him a cake.
The cake said: “Happy Birthday to the Senator who votes with Obama 97% of the time.”
3. It also included this photo of Begich shaking Obama’s hand while Harry Reid smiles.
Obama is polling poorly in Begich’s home state of Alaska.
4. So here is how you troll your political rival with a cake:
5. Meet NRSC employee Katie Waldman.
6. That poor girl had to carry the giant Begich troll cake half a mile into the Dirksen Senate building.
7. The first thing Katie had to do was get the cake through the security screeners.
This was apparently not easy and shade was thrown.
8. Katie has to carry the troll cake to the Begich office.
She had to stop a few times because it was so heavy.
9. She had to hold it in a crowded elevator while Senate staffers ogle the cake…
… but dodge out of photos when they realize they could be in this piece.
10. Katie then has a long walk down a marble hallway to the Begich office.
12. At first the poor Begich staffers were shocked and cleared a space for the cake.
The guy yells “Um, what?”
13. Katie says “Happy birthday!” and bolts out the door without further explanation.
14. Begich staffers inspect the cake and suddenly realize they are being trolled.
15. Some are not happy about it.
17. But this staffer said “That’s ok! The joke is on them because we are a staff that loves cake!”
18. When BuzzFeed asked the Begich office what happened to the cake their sarcastic response was: “Slow news day?”
Begich’ press secretary Rachel Barinbaum told BuzzFeed in an email that “the cake delivery was definitely the least eventful part of our day,” but she would not tell us what happened to the cake because she did not want to make it into a story for the NRSC. “[I] just don’t think it’s a story – and in the midst of everything [going on I’m] not sure I felt like turning it into one for them.”
19. But according to this photo from a Begich staffer, it looks like they enjoyed the delicious cake!
Apparently they cut the cake with a string too!
20. And all the Begich staff be like:
- Greece has a new finance minister after Yanis Varoufakis resigned on Monday following the country's "no" vote on austerity measures tied to further bailout funds.
- The South Carolina Senate is debating a bill calling for the removal of the Confederate battle flag from statehouse grounds.
- More than 1 million people are expected to attend Pope Francis' mass in Ecuador on Monday.