1. You may have heard that many monuments in D.C. are temporarily shuttered due to the government shutdown.
2. And popular sites, like the Lincoln Memorial, are heavily guarded.
3. And ugly barricades are blocking some visible aspects of the monument, including these three that are situated right in front of the Lincoln statue.
4. The problem is, anyone trying to take a picture of the monument will have those damn barricades ruining the photo.
5. But one man decided to change all that today. This is a staffer for Montana congressman Steve Daines.
6. He called over the police lieutenant in charge and explained the plight of the tourists.
8. …and he ordered his men to move the gates!
9. And the tourists snapped photos and cheered!
12. A clean Lincoln Memorial again!
In The News Today
- The main suspect in last month's bombing of Bangkok's Erawan shrine has been arrested, Thailand's prime minister says. ›
- Hundreds of people have arrived by train to Austria from Hungary on Monday, as European Union asylum rules collapsed under the escalating migration crisis. ›
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›