BuzzFeed asked George H.W. Bush what rules he uses in picking out his socks for the day.
His response is printed in full below, with our own added illustrations.
2. “Assess the prevailing mood.”
“…like a catchy tune or a post-convention bounce in the polls.”
3. “When the thermometer dips, thread count matters.”
“It is a little known scientific fact that freezing your tail off actually starts in the toes.”
4. “Sock length matters, too.”
George H.W. Bush, approximately age 12 (left) and 16 (right).
“…can be an unsettling sight for many.”
“Sunday church calls for a more muted, sober offering.”
“Lunch with friends…”
6. “Do your own thing.”
“It’s fine to look to sock mavens like The Biebs or Al Roker for inspiration and ideas…”
“When friends discover your fondness for feisty footwear, they will question your taste…”
“…and possibly even your soundness of mind.”
8. “Let the socks do all the talking.”
9. “If you are going anywhere with Barbara Bush, don’t worry about the socks…”
“…because you’ll already be the luckiest guy in the world.”
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›