BuzzFeed asked George H.W. Bush what rules he uses in picking out his socks for the day.
His response is printed in full below, with our own added illustrations.
Larry Downing / Reuters
2. “Assess the prevailing mood.”
“…like a catchy tune or a post-convention bounce in the polls.”
3. “When the thermometer dips, thread count matters.”
Via Photo By Dartmouth College
“It is a little known scientific fact that freezing your tail off actually starts in the toes.”
“…can be an unsettling sight for many.”
“Sunday church calls for a more muted, sober offering.”
“Lunch with friends…”
6. “Do your own thing.”
“When friends discover your fondness for feisty footwear, they will question your taste…”
“…and possibly even your soundness of mind.”
8. “Let the socks do all the talking.”
9. “If you are going anywhere with Barbara Bush, don’t worry about the socks…”
“…because you’ll already be the luckiest guy in the world.”
Here Are The Top Stories
- The death penalty should still be considered for Colorado theater shooter James Holmes, a jury decided.
- President Obama unveiled a plan that is considered to be "the strongest action ever taken" in the U.S. to combat climate change.
- California Gov. Jerry Brown called for a state of emergency as wildfires burned thousands of acres by Sunday and forced hundreds of evacuations.