1. Honor Flight is an organization that pays for and coordinates the visits of World War II veterans to the memorial built in their honor in Washington, D.C.
2. The Honor Flight from Texas last week was one of the largest ever with 60 WWII veterans on it.
6. My seatmate was named Clarence.
Clarence really enjoyed the water cannon salute over the plane while we were taking off. This is an honor reserved for returning soldiers. Clarence fought in three wars and served in the military for 35 years.
9. …and what the veterans didn’t know was that there would be 200 cheering people waiting for them on the other side of the jetway…
All photos by Benny Johnson.
- With head clerk Kim Davis jailed, Rowan County issued its first same-sex marriage license since the Supreme Court's June decision. ›
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- A drowned Syrian boy, whose picture caused outrage around the world, has been buried together with his mother and 5-year-old brother. ›