1. Honor Flight is an organization that pays for and coordinates the visits of World War II veterans to the memorial built in their honor in Washington, D.C.
2. The Honor Flight from Texas last week was one of the largest ever with 60 WWII veterans on it.
5. The boarding took some time, but this is what a full Honor Flight looks like from the inside.
6. My seatmate was named Clarence.
Clarence really enjoyed the water cannon salute over the plane while we were taking off. This is an honor reserved for returning soldiers. Clarence fought in three wars and served in the military for 35 years.
9. …and what the veterans didn’t know was that there would be 200 cheering people waiting for them on the other side of the jetway…
17. Midway through the procession, every person in the terminal was on their feet clapping.
All photos by Benny Johnson.