It was the 25th Anniversary of George H.W. Bush’s presidency this weekend.
His library in College Station Texas threw a reunion weekend for him. Here is what we learned.
22. The entrance of the Bush library has a very, very patriotic bench.
20. This is what the Bush library serves for breakfast.
Hot dogs and chocolate covered doughnuts. (A+)
19. After your chocolate doughnut and hot dog breakfast, you are ushered into this auditorium…
…where panels of old Bush advisers sit in smoking chairs and talk about how great things were in Bush’s White House.
18. Bush uses a wheelchair to get most places these days. He has a personal aide named Coleman who is by his side at all times.
17. Bush is always surrounded by four Secret Service men, even when he’s talking with a close friend.
16. Barbara Bush just wanders around the library with her dogs.
15. The library made its own special George Bush socks that you can buy.
Bush loves wearing colorful socks. Coleman tells BuzzFeed that people will just randomly send Bush pairs of flamboyant socks in the mail and that he and Barbara help the president pick out the socks to wear every day.
At the museum store you can also buy George Bush paper plates.
14. There is a secret “diplomatic room” in the library where they have private dinners and meetings among some pretty amazing pieces of SWAG Bush has received.
There is this portrait of Bush’s inner circle of advisers…
… and Colin Powell is throwing mad shade.
12. In the middle of the Bush library there is a gigantic statue of stallions running over fragments of the Berlin Wall.
(I think this is historically accurate.)
Including what appears to be a Vineyard Vines ad.
9. The Bush library also loves recreating full-scale Bush offices.
Bush’s Oval Office and Camp David office.
8. They also built an oil rig inside the museum.
This is a part of a temporary exhibit.
And you can take a family photo on an oil rig.
Ok, that’s enough oil stuff.
7. Bush threw a BBQ that night and rented some party busses.
This is what a Bush party bus driver looks like.
6. At the dinner a country band played and shot streamers onto Bush, his son Jeb, and former secretary of defense Bob Gates.
5. Jimmy Fallon made a mash-up video of Bush rapping.
But after the video was posted online by the library, NBC asked for it to be taken down. Here is how the audience reacted to MC Hammer Bush.
Unfortunately people still took photos with iPads at this dinner.
Then Garth Brooks jumped on stage and sang “I Got Friends In Low Places.”
Brooks later said it is “easier” to sing that song to a room full of politicians.
3. After the party, the Bushes just walked over to a private apartment they had built so they can stay right inside the library.
We are not allowed to go up there.
1. And the number one most important thing learned at the Bush library:
This photo exists.
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- Mozambique implemented a new criminal code that removes a colonial-era law criminalizing homosexuality.