1. 2013 started out really well for President Barack Obama.
He had a mandate to continue his first-term agenda coming off a massive electoral victory.
2. Republicans, maintaining control of the House, returned to Washington with this attitude:
3. And the clashes between Obama and the Republicans began almost immediately.
4. First, Obama and the Democrats pushed really hard for background checks on gun purchases.
5. But even with a majority in the Senate, the Democrats couldn’t get the votes.
8. And that effort fell limp as well.
And is currently wallowing in the House.
9. The administration’s agenda was further derailed by a massive NSA spying scandal.
11. Then another scandal surfaced, after it was revealed the IRS discriminated against Tea Party groups when reviewing applications for tax-exempt status.
12. The scandal led to bipartisan outrage and heads rolling at the IRS while the Tea Party demanded to be taken seriously.
14. These scandals hurt the administration’s credibility and rallied Republican opposition against him.
15. Then a dictator in Syria allegedly used chemical weapons against his own people.
Obama had promised America would intervene in the Syria’s two-year civil war that’s left many, many thousands dead if this happened.
16. But Republicans were not convinced that America needed to intervene even though Obama was demanding it.
17. Republicans asked Obama to bring his case for war to the Hill.
That just did not work out for the administration.
18. Then came the battle over the launch of Obamacare.
19. One new, loud Senator decided to stand as long as he could to stop Obamacare from being implemented.
That did not really work out.
21. Republicans decided to grow some wings and shut down the government.
22. During the entire shutdown, Obama kept screaming at the Republicans:
23. And no matter how hard the Republicans tried, they could not stop the Obamacare exchanges from launching.
24. The entire shutdown really just amounted to the Republicans falling with style.
25. So Republicans were forced to watch the administration rollout Obamacare:
26. Major problem for Obama: The Obamacare website was a disaster that hurt his approval ratings and further weakened confidence in the administration.
27. And by the end of the year. Obama and many leaders in Washington feel like this:
28. But at least Congress did finally decide to pass a budget agreement this week!
- Austria and Germany will allow people seeking refuge from the war in Syria who are currently in Hungary to come to their countries. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses today, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›