This post has been corrected to remove phrasing that was copied from Marketwatch and from Yahoo! Finance.
BuzzFeed takes its responsibility to readers very seriously, and plagiarism is a major breach of that responsibility. Please read our apology to readers here.
To put that in perspective, the number 2 country would be Russia with 1835 overall medals and that’s including their Soviet Union era.
8. Americans earn more “personal income”, on average, than residents of any other country.
7. US gave more than twice as much foreign aid as any other country last year.
However this did only account for 0.2% of the country’s gross national income.
6. America has the largest Gross Domestic Product on the planet BY FAR at $15.56 trillion.
4. America has the most powerful military on the planet and accounts for roughly 40% of the world’s defense budget.
1. America is the place Chuck Norris chose to be born.
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- The fire at a South Carolina black church late Tuesday night wasn't arson, according to a preliminary investigation.
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.