2. The opening of the letter reads:
“Dear Pope Francis, we are a group of women from all over Italy (and further afield) and are writing to you to break down the wall of silence and indifference that we are faced with every day. Each of us is in, was or would like to start a relationship with a priest we are in love with.”
3. The letter was sent to the Vatican, and signed with a single letter of their first names, along with their hometown. The women claim to be only a “small sample” of many, many women who are living in hiding about the men they love.
4. Priestly celibacy dates back more than 1,000 years in the Roman Catholic Church. Some believe ending the requirement would help with the shortage of Catholic priests in some areas.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed on immigration, Obama, and Kissinger (!) in Thursday's Democratic debate. We have a recap for you 🇺🇸
- NYPD Officer Peter Liang was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, an unarmed black man.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.