1. Updated — July 30, 10:30 p.m. ET:
2. A water main break near the University of California, Los Angeles, Tuesday caused massive street flooding and damage at the university’s campus.
3. Video posted to Instagram showed water shooting out from the broken pipe and into the streets. The flooding was first reported at 6:24 p.m. ET in the 10600 block of Sunset Blvd., the Los Angeles Fire Department reported.
4. After 3 and a half hours of flooding, the water main break was shut off, the Associated Press reported.
5. More than 20 million gallons of water were lost before the main was shut off, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said in a live press conference Wednesday.
6. The 93-year-old pipe is believed to have leaked 75,000 gallons per minute at the peak.
Department of Water and Power employees assess the damage caused by the water main.
8. The flood waters poured into UCLA’s campus as students either treaded through it, or found high ground to capture the event.
10. A few people found a very creative way to get through the flooding:
11. Although the police said, “That is probably one of the most dangerous things you can do.”
“For somebody to try and boogie board in this, it’s just going to be an asphalt bath,” Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Jaime Moore said.
12. Water was seen rushing down the stairs at UCLA’s recently remodeled Pauley Pavilion.
Workers walk down stairs to a parking structure as water cascades down on them.
15. While the flooding was caused by a water main break, a prank caller told KABC it was caused by a cherry bomb or “really large dump.”
16. Sandbags were placed around entrances to stop the water, but failed to make much of an impact.
17. Pauley Pavilion, home of the Bruins basketball team, was flooded with a reported 10 inches of water.
18. Squeegees and water vacuums were used to clear water and debris from the floor of the Pavilion, which had a $136 million renovation completed in 2012.
19. The 49-year-old wooden building is considered historical. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Walton, Reggie Miller, Ed O’Bannon, Kevin Love, and Ann Meyers played there in college.
Firefighters work to dam up a stairway inside UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion sporting.
20. The court is buckling, UCLA’s campus facilities managed Kelly Schmader said.
21. Drake Track and Field Stadium was also inundated with water.
22. “#summervibes over here at Drake Stadium,” one student said with this picture.
23. The Los Angeles Fire Department ordered an evacuation of the campus and people were reported stranded in cars from the quickly rising waters.
25. Firefighters saved up to five people who were stuck in the underground parking structures after the flooding started, the Associated Press reported.
26. More than 730 cars were trapped underwater in UCLA’s garages, and about half the vehicles were entirely submerged.
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)