Denis Balibouse / Reuters
2. On Sunday afternoon, Yahoo!’s Twitter account was temporarily hacked and sent out a Tweet indicating that an Ebola outbreak in Atlanta had infected 145 Americans. It was retweeted over 800 times within a ten minute timespan.
4. Ten minutes later, Yahoo confirmed that it was an “unauthorized tweet” with inaccurate information about an Ebola outbreak. The hacked Tweet was then deleted.
6. Yahoo! did not immediately respond to BuzzFeed’s request for comment.
In The News Today
- President Obama on Monday declared a major disaster in South Carolina, where floods have killed at least 12 people and left tens of thousands stranded. ›
- California has become the fifth U.S. state to legalize physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›