1. Billy Standley came up with the idea for his funeral 18 years ago.
On Friday, Jan 31st, he got his wish. He was taken to his grave in Crawford County, Ohio, atop a 1967 Harley in a Plexiglass casket. His sons made the casket, reinforcing the bottom with wood and steel rods.
2. Five embalmers worked to prepare Standley’s body with a metal back brace and straps to ensure he’ll never lose his seat.
“He’d done right by us all these years, and at least we could see he goes out the way he wanted to,” his son Pete Standley said.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️