1. A new PSA dramatizes the fatal struggle between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin and calls for people to “stand up” to Stand Your Ground laws in 26 states.
2. The PSA is by a non-profit group, The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. It explains the initiative on its website:
The traditional presumption in the law—from the advent of the Hebrew Bible through the creation of Roman law, English common law, and American law—has been that if you could spare human life, it was incumbent upon you to do so.
With “Stand Your Ground” (aka “Shoot First”) laws, the National Rifle Association (NRA) and its partners in the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) have turned 3,000 years of jurisprudence on its head. Now you can provoke a fight, and if losing that fight, kill the person you attacked.
3. Some think it goes too far and sends the wrong message.
This is an idiotic piece of garbage. - Anti-â€™Stand Your Groundâ€™ PSA Reenacts Trayvon Martin Shooting http://t.co/neAXKmMgNb/ Via
I noticed they conveniently left out the thuggish assault portion of the story. @AaronWorthing @MadeleineBlaze/ Via
@ProudoftheUSA totally bogus. without SYG if you were challenged by anyone you would be required to RUN AWAY/ Via
@ThomasARoberts PSA to stop gun violence? If #trayvonmartin did not assault GZ he would be alive today. #racebaiting #msnbc #standyourground/ Via
7. Others noted that while it was a raw and emotional depiction, it drove home an important point.
@ThomasARoberts No one has or will forget Trayvon Martin and Bravo to the Stand Your Ground PSA video!/ Via
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›